An Atlanta judge declined to revoke Young Thug’s probation after prosecutors pushed to send the rapper back to prison for re-sharing a viral tweet criticizing an investigator in the district attorney’s office.
In an order Thursday, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Paige Reese Whitaker cautioned the artist, born Jeffery Williams, over his use of social media. “While the Court does not find that the cited social media post rises to the level of a violation of Defendant’s probation, it may be prudent for Defendant to exercise restraint regarding certain topics,” Whitaker said in a footnote, per the Associated Press.
Earlier on Thursday, Williams’ legal team blasted the move by Atlanta prosecutors to revoke the rapper’s probation. The post in question included a photo of Fulton County District Attorney investigator Marissa Viverito, who had served as a witness during Williams’s criminal trial, and called her a “liar.” When Williams pleaded guilty to drug, gang, and gun charges last October, he was sentenced on the spot to time served, 15 years of probation, and a “backloaded” consecutive sentence of 20 years that would only kick in if he violated probation.
On Wednesday, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis claimed that the retweet violated the terms of agreement by allegedly threatening the safety of a prosecution witness.
In a response filed Thursday, Williams’ lead lawyer said his client did not step out of line.
“The prosecution’s motion to revoke Mr. Williams’ probation fails, on its face, to allege any conduct by Mr. Williams that would rise to a violation of the probationary sentence,” defense lawyer Brian Steel said. “There is no violation of Mr. Williams’ probation by reposting an image on social media and opining that Investigator Viverito is untruthful.”
Williams had been in jail for more than two years awaiting the outcome of his racketeering trial when he agreed to his open plea last October. It was “non-negotiated,” meaning his sentence was up to the judge. It was a risky move, considering he was facing up to more than 100 years in prison on the state’s charges. The judge let him walk out of custody that day, but with strict terms to his probation. His remaining co-defendants in the trial were later acquitted.
Williams took to X following news of prosecutors’ motion to revoke his probation, writing, “I don’t make treats to people I’m a good person, I would never condone anyone threatening anyone or definitely participate in threatening anyone.” He added, “I’m all about peace and love.”
The rapper, 33 is scheduled to co-headline Summer Smash Festival with Don Toliver x Yeat, and Future in June, which will be his first performance since being released.